24 Church St, Falmouth : 01326 319461
The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society
Have a look at the calendar text here to see what's coming up.
Arwenack Manor from the Harbour ca 1910 (from Brian Osborne's 'Images of the Past' collection #924)
Children of the Baptist Sunday School outside the Baptist Church in Market Street, possibly celebrating the centenary of the Sunday School in 1910. The Church was built in 1877 and demolished in 1938 when it relocated to new premises in Western Terrace. The Falmouth trade directories record that John Stephens ran his tobacconist and hairdressing business next door at 21 Market Street from 1895 until at least 1921; Mrs Stephens was running the business in 1926. (From Brian Osborne's 'Images of the Past' collection #703) MoreClick here to view more
Built by Jacob Hamblen, Tallow Chandler, Shop Keeper and Dealer in Groceries and Sundries, to ease his commute between his shop and his home
Photo, ca 1930, from the Osborne Family collection More
Arwenack Manor House
The Killigrew family acquired the manor of Arwenack through marriage in the 13th century and, by the 16th century, had transformed it into what was said to be the finest house in Cornwall. After the death of the last Killigrew, Martin Lister in 1746, the estate eventually passed to the Earl of Kimberley. The house has certainly seen its fair share of ups-and-downs, and, if its walls could talk, it would have some intriguing tales to tell. It continues to flourish as stylishly converted private apartments.
The Banqueting Hall, ca 1920 More